Monday, October 15, 2007

Green Challenge

I was happy to know that I was tagged by newly acquainted - Kelly from Glamour This! from my other blog for this question: What are you doing to introduce environmental sustainability into your daily life? Hmm...

I have to say that living in Seoul makes me much more environmentally aware such as recycling.

1. Right outside our apartment we have my different bins for separating stuff for recycling: plastic (only bottles), paper, cans, food waste, non-biodegradable plastic (or so I think it said) for plastic bag, and 2 other nondescript handwritten bins.

Since I only speak and understand pigeon language of Korean, I have difficulty understanding my superintendent/ security guard. I had been throwing food waste together with the plastic bag when he came to me to make me understand that its not the right thing to do and the neighbors had complained. He then showed me to the non-biodegradable plastic bin thats located in a semi-hidden place. A little inconvenient but useful for the environment and my neighbors.

2. Supermarkets charge customers 10c-20c for plastic bags. I always like to carry my own paper or fabric bag to supermarkets for groceries.

3. I take public transportation but I actually like to be driven by my husband. Otherwise, I always carpool (not with strangers though) whenever possible.

4. We switch off what's not used. Save energy and electric bills (everything is expensive in Seoul!)

5. I try my best to use only recycled paper for stationeries including the customized ones.

6. Recycled commercial goods are more desirable for me to purchase. I like seeing recycled boxed food.

7. I haven't driven a car for a long time and if I am to purchase and drive my own car, I intend to get a hybrid.

I know I haven't done much to be green but the word is 'try'. Will continue to try to be more aware. What do you think?

No comments: