Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Souvenirs

I searched for the guests’ souvenir for quite some time. On many American websites, showed a lot of favors but they are mostly candies and chocolates. I prefer something guests can use or display and remember the wedding they attended.

There were many choices that I thought of: pens with dragon engraved, photo frames, digital photo key chains, accessories box and the list goes on.

I finally found what I deemed as the best choice, it was enameled dragon wineglass made in China, I saw the company listing, called Roro Craft, in alibaba.com and went ahead to contact them with my splattering Chinese.

To further check their quality, I went to their booth in expo when I was traveling with my family and husband in Hon Kong. It was to our satisfaction.

Since I don’t have the budget to give a pair of dragon and phoenix wineglasses to guests, I asked them to custom make for me a double symbol- dragon & phoenix. I made thousands of pieces and they came packaged with the boxes.

They were then ocean freight from China direct to me. The timing was very tight but we manage to get the souvenirs a week before the wedding.

To make my souvenir more personalized, I went further to put my husband's name and mine as a metal plate for the bottom of the glass.

I had never bought such big quantity from China for my own purposes and I had heard so many first-hand bad experiences from other people. It was a good thing that those news didn't deter me to order from Roro Craft, else I wouldn't be able to give my guests these pretty glasses.

I was satisfied on how professionally the Chinese held my account.

Souvenirs for Overseas Guests

We wanted to give a nice package with local Indonesian products for our overseas guests to thank them for flying long hours to attend our wedding. Not only has it have to be 'nice', we wanted our guests to keep the souvenirs so candies favors were out of the picture.


image from Artichokes & Co

The idea was from a basket to be placed in the hotel rooms but we felt that basket may be too bulky for our guests to bring back home. This gift box from is from artichokes & co. You can view more of the cool gift items by their website. Thus, a bag was a better option and easier on my budget, which is not to spend more than USD20/ souvenir.

I made 4 colors of these rattan bags from a nice young lady whom also made these lovely chopsticks too. If you are interested more of their products, you can email them and request catalog. These rattan bags were a great hit, the ladies who received were proudly toting the bag to gold courses and shopping centers!
The gentlemen dutifully brought the bag back to their wives and girlfriends.


To fill up the bag, we bought batik-print kimono from a wholesaler and have our initials embroidered in gold. We also had a small souvenir box filled with tea-light candle, local candies and cookies. All of them supposed to have meaning, but I had no time to spare for the details of the meanings...All is to be in pairs as in the auspicious number for wedding.
I'm very happy to know guests not only brought back their souvenirs but are using them too! A friend told me that she use the kimono in her daily life.

No comments: