Monday, August 10, 2009

Hit & Miss in the Kitchen

Last Sunday I made brunch for friends and served Egg Benedict & Fruit with Granola. I had 4 egg whites left and I didn't feel like having egg white omelet so I went online and looked for Angel Cake recipe. The recipe calls for 12 egg whites, I only had 4 so I just went ahead and do basic math equivalents.
Cake Recipe found on Epicurious:
- oven at 325F
- 1 1/2c sugar
- 1c unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 12 egg whites
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- finely grated orange peel (add for tastier cake)

While I happily sorted everything out and ready to mix on my newly fixed
Kitchen Aid, it actually went kaput again! After I spent $50 to fix that damned thing. It was exactly my 3rd time, I switched it on and when I put it on the speed 4, it exploded!!! If this happened in US, I would definitely sue them. Anyways I went using my ever loyal whisk.

I'm those who cook and enjoy my own food. Cake is served with leftover cut fruits from brunch.
Whisk the egg whites, lemon and vanilla until foamy
I added a little cream of tartar and a little sugar and whisk till soft peaks. Fold in the rest of the sifted dry ingredients with spatula slowly and by a little, until the flour mix disappears. Scoop into ungreased tube pan and spread evenly.

Bake for 45-55min. I waited for 40min as my pan is small. Remove from oven and invert the pan to cool cake completely.
I had to knife the cake from the pan to dislodge the cake. And ta-da! My chocolate Angel Food Cake. I cut down on sugar and added on orange peel. I likey!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So thats the hit, here's the miss:
Irish Soda Bread or in my case Rock Bread

Flour (it said unbleached flour but I just used whatever flour available at that time)
Milk + white vinegar to replace Buttermilk
Baking Soda
salt

Sundried Tomatoes

No comments: