Friday, July 20, 2012

2012 New Baby Product Reviews For Baby #3 (Bottles)

Its been years since I last posted anything on this blog. Ever since I gave birth to #2, I went back to work and all in all, kids and work filled my time that I don't have time to blog anymore.

Since I just gave birth to #3 and doing my confinement period, I decided to share some tips and honest reviews to other moms-to-be. Amazon reviews have been super helpful.

Bottles
2008 child #1 went through many bottles that she had nipple confusion for a period. It was around '07 and '08 and BPA-free bottles were newly introduced into the mainstream market. Adiri was good but it was quite tricky to assemble them with leaking problems and #1 settled for Pigeon BPA-free bottles and the nipples worked well in between breastfeeding and bottle-feeding.

2010 child #2 I have decided to use Avent BPA-free bottle, since #1 was still drinking from her bottle, I thought to use another brand so its easier to differentiate the bottles for the children. Plus, I wanted to use the Tempo liners for travel and we travel a lot during #2 first 6 months. During our Seoul trip, I came across Upis brand. The liner will protect the neck ring from milk, so less part to clean. It was feature a nipple container at the bottom, so we can easily switch to new nipple, if we don't have time to wash. However, to plastic liner is almost like clingwrap, and during travel, patience runs thin, you wouldn't want to spend time getting the liner to open and make milk.

2011 By 2009, most brands claimed to be BPA-free and it seems that even safe plastics such as PP are claimed to leach. So what is safe? They said pure, good grade stainless steel and glass bottles. I grew upset. #1 had been using her BPA-free Japanese Pigeon bottles for 3yrs, #2 used his Avent bottles for 1yr+ and what made me even more angry was my Avent sterilizer. It had this weird smell that I ignored and kept instructing my babysitter to use the cleaning powder. One day, I inspected the sterilizer and touched the interior, it had this whitish powder surrounding the plastic. I almost cried thinking how oblivious I can be and how I have poisoned my kids. The same night, I threw away all my children plastic bottles and the sterilizer.

After researching, Pura Kiki was my best choice, with no plastic neck rims and its versatility with Pigeon and Avent nipples. Glass Pigeon bottles was another great choice but its heavy and I worry the bottles hitting my children faces and #2 was going through bottle-throwing phase.

Next was the sterilizer, I remembered during my stay in Seoul was that most utensils were dried in UV sterilizers and through googling in English, came up with Upang.

2012 baby #3


I purchased Kleen Kanteen Baby series together same time as ordering Pura Kiki. I thought to have a different bottle again so its easier to differentiate bottles for the children. #1 still is attached to her pink Pura Kiki bottle for sleeping time before she brushed her teeth.
Although there are some articles saying stainless steel (SS) leech nickel, I choose to believe what Pura and KK's guarantee of good grade and zero migration of heavy metals. But on the hand, you can't freeze the SS bottles so hence, glass bottles.
In June, Avent launched its new Natural line on Amazon and I saw the glass bottles and quickly waitlisted for them. After using ComGateway service to have them sent, since the new Avent line is exclusive to US and UK market (maybe also in Europe?), I was excited to see the new bottles.

Review on Avent Natural Glass bottles- They are heavy, not so easy to screw the neck ring, but doesn't seem to be as fragile as other thinner glass bottles.
I  do like the nipple. I received the bottles late and #3 had been using regular neck Pigeon glass bottles and she had slight nipple confusion when I breastfed her. #3 drinks a lot, she is 1 week old and drinks 90cc. We have been using Avent glass bottles for 3 days now and she has no problem going back breast and bottle. The Natural nipples only fit the Avent Natural bottles. I tried to insert to other bottles but just doesn't fit.
The plastic ring is something I have to bear with but will change in every 3-6mths.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I see you mentioned the new avent ring/nipple combo fits momo glass bottles threading. So question #1) do they leak or is this method working for you? I loved my momo glass with #1 but Momo baby bottles are scarce now, I have a few from previous baby but would like to have a second option that jives for when momo goes extinct. I am unsure of investing in avent again since their first version of bottles gave me such a headache. However, I do see that the neck/threading is different from the originals. Question #2) Do you know if the manual pump you showed in another post from avent will pump directly into the momo glass bottles? I'd like to get a manual pump this time around and been looking at the one you showed, but want convenience all at the same time.... Ps. I love your blog, I have noticed a few other items youve noted and i can completely agree with you are a must have or have worked great for your family!

Luvena said...

Hi! I do like my Momo bottles too, they are definitely lighter than the Avent boroscolite glass bottles. #1, so far it hasn't leaked with the Avent Ring #2 and it does fit into the manual pump. I believe all wide neck bottles will work.